Monday, February 12, 2007

Me. You. Who?

My day started out good. The vintage dress fit - yeah. Donnell was safely on his way home. Radio stations seemed to be done discussing the Dixie Chicks. My chai was made correctly.
I'm not sure when or how the day turned.
Mondays are my yoga class. It's a 10-week class and I've already skipped twice. Tonight I was ready though. My legs hurt from the two consecutive days of running I've done (wow, I know), and stretching sounded good. I was hoping to calm down mentally too, but I'm not as good with that part of yoga.
Anyway, the stretching was good. I'm still surprised each time we do an ending meditation (I did say I wasn't good with the mental part of yoga). This week, Kit talked about how we often have a mantra of "What about me." She wanted us to change that for our meditation; change it to "what about you" (not in a negative way).
I stayed mainly focused on the first part; it got me thinking about my day. I had definitely been "me" centered:
What about ME?
WHAT about me?
What ABOUT me?
Could shifting this thought process help me? I'm not sure how, but I'm willing to consider it. I'm saying [writing] this outloud [out in the open] in hopes you might have some insight. Like I said - I'm willing to consider it, if I know how.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Nice. I like that idea (switching from a me-focus). I never liked the me-focus emphasis that our culture screams at us all the time. I don't need any help thinking more about myself. But thinking more of others? It doesn't come too naturally, but it always seems to be more satisfying. Where do you yoga? (Anne told me it's allowed to be a verb! How cool!)

Anonymous said...

I am reading your blogs too... I saw you made a comment earlier that you need responses. Mine won't be too helpful this time as I am just letting you know I read. I will try for something more insightful next time.

Amanda

(forget my logon info so I must write anonymously.)