Sunday, July 04, 2010

Oh sugar, sugar

I've not yet hit the acceptance stage of my apparent sugar addiction. I'm still in denial. Over the past few years I've had it implied by a couple people that I have an addiction. In my defense though, I'm not as bad as her over there, or HER for goodness sake, and what about him? No, I'm fine. I barely eat any sugar. I watch D sprinkle it on his cereal in utter disgust. I'll take the honey, thank you very much.

And THAT is my downfall. Sugar IS in more things I eat than I am consistently conscious of; and so when I actually eat cookies or drink my Tall, Soy, No water, No foam, Chai Latte I think I'm still doing okay. I'll admit, I have sugar "issues" but I'm not ready to commit to removing it from my life and hence I'm not willing to admit my body could be addicted.

I think you may have noticed with my past few blog posts that I like to bake and want to bake more, and get better at it (ah, yeah like the tart incident). I do try to make my baking healthier so, for example, I do vegan lemon bars to avoid all the egg (oh and because lemon curd sends chills down my spine - anything overly yolky does) and I use whole wheat flour often with ground flax and wheat germ added. This is how I came to find myself baking banana breakfast bread, which claimed to be healthy and guilt-free for breakfast. JUST what I was looking for! Too bad I didn't do the sugar math until it was already in the oven. Assuming I cut the bread into 12 pieces, that is 1 tablespoon of sugar per serving. That's a lot. I would not put 1 Tbsp of sugar in my tea, or on my cereal, or on my macerating berries. I certainly would not want to give J 1 Tbsp of sugar at a sitting or in a day even if I could help it (which really, I can). Besides, cutting those into 12 pieces is not realistic which means more sugar per serving.

I tasted the bread this morning and it didn't even taste that sweet. I added an extra banana, didn't put in the full 3/4 cup of sugar, added wheat germ which is normally a bit sweet, AND added a handful of chocolate chips. If the recipe had been written by a food expert I would leave a comment stating my disappointment. But really, this got me thinking and that's a good thing. How can I make this bread into a truly guilt-free breakfast bread full of flax, nuts, and banana? How can I make it taste good?

To answer some of my questions I'll need to do some research. How is honey digested and utilized by the body? I'm under the assumption it's no different than sugar or banana. So maybe I need to look into stevia. Or what about agave nectar? There are so many sugar alternatives and I wonder if any of them are *really* a healthy alternative? I'm willing to look at sugar on a recipe by recipe basis but not as a whole in my life. I feel like the latter is too overwhelming and if I take care of the former then I should be okay.

I also met with my naturopath this week. I have not had an appointment with her since I got my prenatal vitamins. My file was so old that it was in storage in her house, but she did find it! That was good because it showed that in 3 years my cellular health and weight and metabolism have all remained the same or gotten better. However, my cholesterol is way too low, I failed her calcium test, and she thought I generally had a horrible diet. I can't disagree. I'm always thinking that if I ate only what I fed J then I'd be amazingly healthy and probably thinner too. It's easy to give him healthy food and expect him to eat it; it's all he's known and he's used to it. On the other hand those things taste weird, bland, and generally nose-wrinkling icky to my white bread taste buds. I'm doing far better but I'm not to the point where I will choose water over DQ ice cream. This is what J did last night. He spent our drive saying "yum yum" over a cup of ice water because it had the always coveted straw. Meanwhile his cone sat in the seat next to him with only a couple bites gone. I realize this sounds horribly messy, but let me clarify that J gets an empty cone and I sort of dip it into my ice cream so he gets a few licks. He isn't an ice cream fan and we learned this the hard way at the beginning of summer. Luckily a boy can be washed and a Jeep can be hosed out.

My naturopath gave me a suggested diet to follow but I gotta admit, it's just too much. I have a lot going on and while I want to improve I need to make baby steps or I'm gonna quit. So I've decided to tackle taking my vitamins regularly, eating more vegetables, and adding better sources of protein into my diet. These were things I knew I needed to do and wanted to change anyway. What I don't want to do is limit my carbs - at all. The suggestion was that I do one fruit and one whole grain carb a day. Okay I'd be done at breakfast after my cheerios and strawberries. No. I have to draw the line somewhere.

So basically my future food related posts will likely be a little healthier. I'll probably be doing more salads for one. I love to re-create restaurant salads so I'll likely share a few of those with you all. I found another recipe for lemon bars and since I'm not a sugar addict I may try those as well.

D asked if my naturopath had anything good to say. She did. In addition to all the cellular stuff, she admired my working out. Ha! I think I'm horrible at sticking with that but I guess perspective is everything. I'm in week three of the Couch to 5k program. I'm also planning to start back up with Zumba this week and finally get to my last couple bootcamps. So yeah, I work out semi-regularly and generally I'm no longer sedentary since leaving cubicle serfdom. Now, according to my naturopath, I'm ready for the next step.

No comments: