Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Sh!tty R Us

I'm boycotting both Toys R Us and Babies R Us . . . the entire R Us franchise. In fact I may lift my nearly decade long boycott of Wal-Mart in light of, though that's not for certain (two wrongs don't make a right).

I was first annoyed with RUs when I was doing my baby registry. Their online merchandise and store merchandise are completely separate. You cannot find something in-store online and vice versa (at least with Babies). After this there was a lull in annoyance.

Today was it. Today was enough to warrant an indefinitely long boycott. I arrived with J and D and a handful of items to return/exchange. I had no gift receipts but would happily accept store credit. The clothing was short sleeved and will not fit by the time it's warm . . . J's grandparents got him a walker toy so he doesn't need the one we bought, etc. Well, they don't do returns OR exchanges without a receipt. Nothing - nada - goodbye - don't let the automatic doors hit you on your way out.

Seriously? The customer service was already lacking, but this was it. This was the last straw. There isn't ANY customer service. It's ridiculous.

I'll hopefully find my receipt but what about others who sent J items in hopes they would fit, but if not security in knowing they could be exchanged. I guess they'll have to be hounded for their receipts. Or maybe the gifts will go unused and languish in a drawer. Or better yet, J can sport them for Independence Day in January - the flipside of Christmas in July.

You know I returned 2 gifts to Wal-Mart already and it took 10 seconds for them to issue me a store credit. Though I have been boycotting them I will more happily spend that money there than a single further cent at any RUs store.

On a side note, I've been waiting to become sassier. I thought oooh after 30 I'll come into my own and speak my mind - nope. Then I thought oh surely once I'm a mom I'll be more vocal but not so far. Well, finally I did and I was not rude or anything. But I did express my disbelief, displeasure and their loss of a customer. While I was very angry and in shock, it's not the cashier's fault so I would not have wanted to be rude or make a huge scene (though part of me did want to do exactly that).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is insane! I've never heard of such a thing. Even Target (whom I hate and who has a pretty asinine return policy) will give you a shred of something if you don't have a receipt.

And yeah, Walmart is definitely THE easiest place to return things. They don't even care about the reason. In fact, I may have returned items to Walmart which I may have purchased elsewhere (but which Walmart also carries) and received store credit in return. That may have happened.