Wednesday, April 13, 2011

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Bananas.

Though bananas are abundant at every grocery store I visit, to me they are elusive. They are the day lily of fruits. Okay, maybe I'm just particular about bananas. If the peel won't come off they're clearly under ripe, but if they taste "bananay" enough to be Laffy Taffy then they're too ripe. That means when I get a bunch of perfect bananas I gorge on them for a day. I'm wiling to share but I don't advertise that there are new bananas in the house. Once they've passed my version of their peak, I let others in the house have a few before the speckled ones are banished to the freezer for baking. Yesterday was a banana day and I thought they'd last into today but sadly, no.

We have a new addition to our house this week, well, in addition to Phase 2 of P90x. Her name is Vera. She's an adorable 5-month old black & white kitty. She's super sweet. J has been able to scare her a couple times but for the most part she lets him hug her and pet her and play with her. Considering she's only lived here three days I think that's awesome. Last night our other kitty stopped hissing at her too. I'm thinking this is because she has secured her place as queen and a not-so simple look of smug superiority is all she needs now.

After nursing a calf injury during P90x's recovery week, we're back into the meat of things. My mantra for Phase 1 was "survive" but I didn't see the results D has (shocker there) so my mantra for Phase 2 is "doubles." I'm going to try to get in as many double workouts as possible. Today I ran again after I was rained out yesterday morning. I had an epiphany yesterday which was a really just a realization of the obvious. The epiphany was that while I need to take a day off in-between lifting, I can run more often with fewer days off. In fact, I need to be running more often if I want to conquer this once and for all. I've wanted to be a runner for years - since high school track I suspect. I'm finally getting there, and though my 5ks are not that impressive I couldn't be more pleased. I really want this and I have my eye on a few 5ks and maybe even a mini triathlon this summer. So yeah, I'll need babysitters. Feel free to use the comments field below as a sign up sheet.

P90x is all about muscle confusion (oh and X-treme!). There are 3 phases and 2 recovery weeks between phases. Each phase uses some different DVDs. Monday was Chest, Shoulders, Triceps and I wasn't sure I was going to finish the entire workout. In all honesty, I completely gave up on all push-ups 3/4 of the way through. I'm still rocking the abs workout though (So where's even a hint of the six-pack I should be starting to see?!?!? Still looks like the only six-pack related to my body is St. Paulie Girl). Tonight is Back & Biceps which sounds like pull-ups and curls and some other sort of crazy added in for fun.

I think I'd better go get a cup of tea. Since starting this workout caffeine has become a necessity. I believe I can thank my misfiring thyroid for that. But I have to leave with one last thing, my dream last night. This is really for anyone reading this who's related to me. I dreamt last night that I was headed down Grandma's street in Masury and where the house and extra lot were was now a HUGE mansion. I think the driveway alone was bigger than Grandma's house and it had many points on the roof as if it was trying to look like an Eastern European castle. Maybe it's a message coming through in the dream and we're Hungarian royalty. ;)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I do the same thing with bananas! And after having way too many in the frig for any one normal baker, I decided to cut my purchase down to only 2 or 3 at a time. They must be perfect though. Once they pass their peak (in my world) they go on the counter for K to grab as a snack when she passes by.

hih said...

BTW, I'll be a babysitter. Easily.