Saturday, November 15, 2008

I got the Garrett nose

I got my hair chopped yesterday. I hope it's not "mommy" hair but too bad if it is - too late now. I did not get it cut to make it easier to deal with or to limit the pulling & tugging by baby J. I got it cut based on the vast amount of hair I've lost.
When J was 2mo old I started losing hair and assumed it was post-baby only to find out it was not. Instead I was told it was from going cold turkey on the high level of blood thinners I was taking. Fast forward to October, J is 7mo old and now I'm not sure if this round of massive hair loss is baby-related or fall shedding. I tend to shed my hair like a dog in the fall. It's gross.
In any case, by the time the October hair loss started, I had sprouts of regrowth from the May shedding. So I was looking even more like a dog - a very mangy one. That or maybe I am part Peruvian Hairless?!?! In any case, I had my haircut in September to deal with the new sprouts. It would take forever for them to reach my mid-back, my pre-September hair length. But with even more falling out I was going to still look ridiculous with my above-the-shoulder bob. So I went back under the scissors.
Now it's officially short. I like it though. I can't hide my tattoo without a turtleneck now, but oh well. That's another benefit to staying home (for work, not like a hermit or anything), now I can fully become the alternative, vegetarian, tree-hugging, hippie mama that I know lurks in me somewhere. I may have to ramp things up to vegan to fully make this work.
In any case, the new hairdo supposedly makes me look younger (you can be the judge). I hope it does! But what I really think it makes look different on my face is my nose. It's huge. I had not realized how huge it had become. It was camouflaged somehow by my long locks - not that I wore them Cousin It style in front of my face, but still somehow longer hair detracted from the schnoz.
It may be an old wives tale, but I read or heard, more than once, that your nose never stops growing. Looking at some family members on the Garrett side, I have to agree. And lucky me - I have the Garrett nose. It's large, it's growing and it'll surely start frightening young children any day now. Of course baby J will be used to it so I think he'll cope okay - until school though when they make fun of his hippy mom's witch nose. If only it were a lovely, long (even hooked) nose but alas it's just growing more bulbous. Joy.
So from under the scissors I will now become more self critical and begin to contemplating going under the knife.
No not really, but maybe. Who knows how far this current path to bout of reduced self-esteem and nose neurosis will go. Stay tuned.








straight from the hairdresser:

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh, I should also say that I *DO* really like my haircut. :)

Beth said...

I love it!

I went through the hair loss thing, too, because of psoriasis. It had stopped so I started growing my hair out but now I think it may come back!

Anonymous said...

You look great!

Tammie said...

I like it : ) I think shorter hair does make you look younger and brings emphasis to your eyes.

Shannon said...

Yes - my eyes! ;)

Martha-Lynn said...

Don't you dare touch that beautiful nose of yours. Look at what happened to Joan Rivers! Michael Jackson! and if you have a strong stomach, you should do a Google image search for Jocelyn Wildenstein some time (warning-- NOT for the faint of heart)! And I love your new hair.