Sunday, November 23, 2008

tik tok - the clock struck 8

Baby J crossed the 8-month mark this past week. In celebration he puked (He's just like his dad! Ha Ha).

It was our first episode of illness with J. I still cannot believe that much stuff could fit inside his body, let alone his stomach. We were in such disbelief that we continued to dress him thinking it was over. He went through 3 sleepers and 2 baths. I also went through 3 outfits, but got no bath. Yum. I realized the next day how gross this was but at the time didn't think about it at all. He was a bit out of sorts the next day so we took it "low and slow" as the nurse suggested (hell, yeah this first time mom called the doctor). They said it was a stomach bug but he never got the other symptoms. I think I fed him bad avocado. How does an avocado go bad even? I have no idea but I'm certain that was the cause. I could have been convinced that the shamrock plant he nibbled the night before was the culprit. But I've deduced it was not. For one, poison control did not apparently mention vomiting (D talked to them - I'll explain) and two, his change of schedule that morning and afternoon has stuck. So it was truly a change of schedule and not a symptom of getting sick.
So yeah, D called poison control because the nibbling occurred on his watch. He had J standing on his lap looking over his shoulder as he checked email. And what was keeping J so happy and content - the shamrock plant (oxalis). He was sucking away at a stem. D pulled the leaf out of his mouth a few minutes later when he went to change his diaper. We'll let the story end there. It got a little ugly.

What else? Let me think.

Crawling is going well. Pulling up is his favorite thing in the whole world. He's starting to try to walk now also. He likes to offer you his hand and then he will take a step to you. He only gets 1-2 steps before he starts bouncing up and down like he's in his saucer (oh and you have to have both his hands once he offers you one). The bouncing is pretty impressive though - up and down, up and down while holding your hands. He's gonna get this walking figured out soon.
Oh, yes and during his first nap today he figured out how to sit on his own. He can sit from a stand but not from crawling or lying down. The sit was not from standing (he was too far away from the rail for that to be possible) but we missed the actual event.

He's continuing with hating orange foods. I love orange foods! So sad. He is currently finding sweet potatoes distasteful. I let him try Cheerios yesterday but he's not ready. Instead we're making his food more coarse for the next week or two and will then try Cheerios again.

He's changed his schedule (I could tell it was happening). He now eats 4x a day not 5 and naps 2x not 3. The naps are longer so it's the same amount of sleep. The food is more (he gets solid at every meal and milk) fewer times so I think that's a wash too. Now I have to adapt to this change. I had finally gotten used to the other as it'd been that way for months.

Overall he's doing great. I'm excited to see how much he's grown at his next appointment in a couple weeks. Personally I think he's tall. He outgrows all his clothes height first, not weight or head size. We'll see. If so he's got two of his four great-grandfathers to thank because no one else is/was tall.

No comments: