Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Feng Shui Fixes

Okay, if I have to tell you then you may not know me all that well . . . I'm a little "granola." I'm a vegetarian. I keep the environment in mind when making quite a few of my decisions. I see a naturopath and have made sure my primary physician is willing to work with her. I also have a feng-shui consultant for my home.
We had our f-s consultant out to the house about two weeks ago. This is her second time helping us. The first time we went over every bit of the house inside and out. We had three pages of recommendations sorted into priorities (now, sooner than later, and someday). We also learned enough general guidelines to to help us make decisions throughout out that list and beyond. This past visit was to help us with just a few specific items. She wasn't here nearly as long, and our to-do list was only a few lines long.

So what IS feng-shui? Well, I'm paraphrasing based on my view and understanding from various things I've read on the topic. Feng-shui is an ancient eastern (Chinese I believe) study. In it's eastern form it's very complicated but here in the west it's been simplified a bit to gain the same basic endpoint. That endpoint is balance and harmony in your environment which will translate into balance and harmony in your life. Obviously there's more to both . . . there's more to feng-shui than just that and there's of course more to having balance and harmony in your life than just feng-shui.
Many of our home improvements stemmed from our first meeting with our consultant. It wasn't so much the recommendations she made as much as what we learned. We weren't that happy in our house - it didn't feel like us. After living here for something like 7 years we still felt like strangers here. It wasn't a home.
In the end, between the tweaks we made based on her suggestions, and all the work we put into the house with remodeling - we love it now. It's our home and it reflects us. We feel comfortable in it and can see ourselves staying here indefinitely. Before we were constantly considering moving.
This past visit, the consultant went into other aspects of balance and harmony. We'd already de-cluttered, made repairs, and updated quite a few rooms to better suite us. This time some of the items included making a gratitude list, and considering keeping a gratitude journal. I've done the list, but I've never been good at journaling. I'll probably share much of that list closer to Thanksgiving.

No comments: