Monday, November 26, 2007

Oooooooh, I'm driving my life away

Well, the midnight headlight
Find you on a rainy night
Steep grade up ahead
Slow me down makin' no time
I gotta keep rollin'
Those windshield wipers
Slappin' out a tempo
Keepin' perfect rhythm
With the song on the radio
Gotta keep rollin'

Yesterday, I honestly felt like my entire life was driving. I could not be a professional driver. We managed to do no traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday. We missed all the driving traffic on Wednesday by staying home, and eluded Black Friday shoppers for the most part. But we literally drove right into holiday traffic Sunday evening. It wasn’t pretty.

We drove to PA to drop off our elderly dog for my parents to watch. We have a trip to TX coming up soon, and at her advanced age, she doesn’t do well at the boarder any longer. She’ll spend two weeks at “grandma’s” and then we’ll pick her up on another whirlwind day trip in early December. It’s about a 3-hour drive to drop her off, sit and visit for a couple hours and get back on the road again. I could feel our ecological footprint oozing out of control. The highlights were that we got to meet my parents’ new dog, Buddy. He’s a very sweet Chinese Crested they rescued. He napped on my lap the entire time I was there. We also got to visit with our niece and nephew who we don’t see very often at all. This is our first visit with Al where she was quite talkative. And last but not least – I got a Peanut butter Crunch blizzard which I can only manage to get in my hometown these days. Yum!

We drove ¾ of the way home without incidence – then we all stopped, all three lanes of us. It had just started to rain so it was darker than normal for that time of day. We crawled along at 15 mph for about an hour without passing an exit. That tall Zen tea I’d drank was slowly becoming yet another issue, especially with no rest stops in addition to no exits. We were also really glad at the last minute I’d grabbed the iPod!

Finally we reached an exit, only 2 before ours. We’d finally hit the 50mph mark so we decided it was best to keep on rollin’. As we exited the interstate and began the last leg into town and hence home, the Eddie Rabbit song I have a portion of above began to play. It was still raining, the windshield wipers were indeed slappin’ out a tempo that kept perfect rhythm with his song on the well, the iPod.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting that song in my head :)