Thursday, June 12, 2008

a trial run

Today was a trial run of a work session. I need to carve out about 10-15 hours a week to do freelance work (I hope). Today I started with 3 hours of uninterrupted time, behind a closed door, with J being tended to by his dad.

I got D sailing lessons for father's day (they start tonight) so he's taking Thursdays off. Now at least for the next 5 weeks I know one day a week I can definitely have a portion of the hours I need. Of course I have no work yet so it's not critical I find all 10 or 15 of those hours. What I'm doing right now is the legwork.

I have an appointment with an accountant at the end of the month and that should coincide with getting my FEIN. I may need to incorporate as well, so that will also happen at the end of the month. In the meantime, I'm getting color palettes together for the art I'd like designed and I'm looking for job postings for freelance work.

I found an events planning job posting today. I love planning events but have never done so professionally. I think I'm going to apply and see what happens. I'm not sure I have enough time to commit or that it will be a work-from-home-part-time opportunity. I figure it doesn't hurt to find out though. Having professional experience would help me determine if this could be a business I could do in the future.

What about freelancing? Yeah, I'm not that excited about it. I have little faith in my science skills, and not much more in my writing skills. Besides, I've never known what I wanted to do with myself as far as a career. I claim to be non-ambitious and non-competitive but others have said that's not true and I just haven't found my purpose.

In any case, I filled the three hours today and felt rather productive. I hope to do the same tomorrow though I must work around some already planned events so it won't be quite as easy. J is getting his 3-month pictures taken! Of course we're going to the mall location that takes 2 weeks to get you your images. In a digital world that's a bit ridiculous but for $4 a sheet what can I expect?

It's getting to the end of another 3 hour stretch. What's this magical 3-hours to which I keep referring? It's how long J goes in-between meals. He's stirring in his swing now, getting hungry for dinner.

No comments: