Thursday, September 04, 2008

Enjoying the present

I'll start with a quick update on J. He's changing so fast and these days he is almost always learning or doing something new. This morning started with his monthly progress assessment (he's fine). J & I will be focusing on fine motor skills (switching the toy from hand to hand & working with an offered third toy). I'll also be encouraging elevated play while sitting to help him strengthen his neck muscles and keep his head upright. He's not sitting unassisted yet. We're also going to be helping him learn to "army crawl" (gulp).
I'm not too excited about crawling. I know it's coming - soon. He's growing too fast and crawling is the gateway to independence! I already miss him falling asleep in my arms and sleeping on me for his nap. In no time at all (in roughly 2 weeks in fact) he'll be closer to 1yr old than newborn. Ugh! Besides we're having dog issues. The pack has become wiley and aggressive, and fall will bring all species together under one roof until spring. That will get me out of the house everyday!
Last Thursday, J had solid food for the first time (rice cereal). Since it'd been a week and we really want him on oatmeal we got to switch him today. He seems to enjoy it as much as the rice. Finally, during his bath tonight he decided his toes indeed DO look delicious. They finally made it to his mouth, yum.


Outside of those updates (which really do make up the majority of my time considering J is my job currently), I chose a logo for my shirts today with the help of some friends who voted. There was a clear winner and as soon as I have the logo in-hand I'll most likely post it here with more info on the business.
I also spent some time avoiding a blog today. My friend Aj sent it and it's written by a friend of hers, H. Aj sent it along because it's a lesson in making the most of today and how small things can be as memorable (or more) than big extravagant things. It's really the day to day times people spend together and the everyday encounters that can leave lasting impressions and mean the most. I think it's also a reminder that the only time you have is right now, this very second. The past is gone and the future is not promised to you. I'm avoiding it because it's sad. I'm playing the part usually left for Aj (who does not want to waste time with unhappy movies or books) and avoiding reading what I know does not have a happy ending. Or a happy beginning as the blog was started 1 month after H's husband died of cancer. They have a young daughter and a newborn son and I was familiar with her husband's struggle through Aj the past few months. It's of course terribly sad, and it hits far too close to home. As much as I also avoid reading Eckart Tolle, I think I'll pick up his book this evening in lieu of finishing this blog. I'm going to have to read his unemotional plea for everyone to be present and live in the now, versus her emotionally charged, and frankly uncomfortable healing process. It's how I'm going to live in the present because it's safer. Maybe safe is not what I should do or what others would do but it's what I've chosen. Now as part of being present, I need to abandon any guilt I feel for such a decision. [Exhale.]

No comments: