Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Freshman

I'm beginning to suspect the application process is like that freshman class in college used as the first step in weeding out anyone without the necessary requirements. In this case that would be organizational skill and patience. I know we're on a path that will take months (and months). I wonder if anyone does drop out during this first phase. We left our first attorney appointment with a 2-inch stack of papers to fill out or have various professionals fill out for us. Upon paying our retainer fee, we received more paperwork. I thought I was being an over-achiever in getting my 3-ring binder ahead of time. Nope; I got one that is far too small.
We're diligently working through our stack of papers. I get really excited each time we can move papers out of the binder or into a finished pile, probably because it takes awhile with each piece needing a separate approach. We have our reference letters out being written and our child abuse and neglect clearances out as well. I was supposed to get my medical records and physical done this week but my doctor cancelled. Doesn't she know I'm in a weed-out class?

Yesterday I embarked on BCI and FBI clearances (the former is for our state and of course the latter is federal/nationwide). We didn't need to do the FBI unless we were going across state lines. We figured it was better to get it done just in case. I made D do his fingerprints first since we had to visit the sheriff's office and that seemed potentially confusing. I'm not that familiar with downtown streets let alone the labyrinth of buildings in that area (plus all the construction). This was a very good decision. While it was a very simple process, I would never have thought to follow the signs for concealed carry permits. Makes sense that they need clearances and that that's likely more popular than getting them for adoption. I'm thinking 'BCI/FBI Clearances' would have made a nice sign though too. Can I not assume the concealed carry people know they are there for clearances as well? There wasn't even anyone to ask for directions so I'm glad I had D's guidance. Of course even with all that I managed to show up without my ID. I knew I needed it but I had taken it out of my wallet and forgot to put it back. Brilliant. On top of that they were closing in 1-hour and my gas light was on, which normally would not be an issue, but as stated I'm not very familiar with downtown.
I made it home, got my ID, got gas, and got back to the sheriff's office before they closed. I was told I have very light fingerprints. Interesting. I wonder if that means they'd be easy to alter or remove if I'm ever on the lamb. Not to worry, it's not in my 5 or 10-year plan.
It seems to take about 4 weeks to get any sort of paperwork back. That's the estimate for BCI, FBI and the child abuse/neglect clearances. The latter of those three were to be returned to us so we're hoping the BCI and FBI were to come here too since that's what we did. I just plan to leave everything sealed in it's envelope and hand it over to the attorney. Even after reading through both stacks of paperwork I still feel a little confused on some of these details.

Based on my reading, I believe I'm gathering all of this information to be included in our application for permission to adopt, which we will receive from our county. Once they get the application they do a homestudy. Then they grant us permission to adopt. Once that occurs (which it will because frankly we're awesome) we can give our profile to our lawyer. It will go in his waiting list and then eventually the active list. All the while we can be marketing ourselves (within the confines of the law in Ohio). Have I mentioned that it's illegal for anyone to advertise for adoption unless you are an agency? We've also been told over and over that that law is not enforced. Still I'm such a goody-goody that I can't see myself purposefully or blatantly breaking that law (don't roll your eyes - I'm compelled to be this way; I'm the oldest child & I didn't know they were bluffing). I'd much rather be in the dark about the law's finer points so I can break it accidentally.

All in all the wheels are in motion; there's all kinds of paperwork out and about for us. Our 'to do' stack is getting smaller than the done stack. Everyone has been really helpful when we ask for a letter or anything really. With all that, I'm still failing the patience part of the weed-out course. I just want my homestudy already. I've convinced myself that once the homestudy is complete and my profile is at the attorney's office I'll be able to relax and be patient. I will not listen to that little voice in my head laughing away at that. Nope [insert fingers in ears]; I don't hear you.

No comments: