Monday, April 19, 2010

Raw

Tonight was the last night of adoption class. The first four weeks were general and the last four weeks were for those interested in domestic adoption. That's us.
I didn't have high expectations for tonight based on the syllabus. And I realize now that the speaker tonight was the same woman that spoke on a similar topic 3 years ago when I took the core track. The topic was specific to public adoption through the county system. Most, if not all children coming through the county are considered special needs regardless of what issues they may have. She implied that termination of parental rights was enough to qualify them as such.
Termination of parental rights. It was an underlying current all evening. She had professional anecdotes here and there and sometimes they were very unpleasant. I will spare you.
Once she was done we had a panel of adoptive parents and adult adoptees speak to us and answer our questions. Their experiences were pretty varied. I feel like I was able to take something away from each of their stories. I really appreciated each of them spending time with us when they could have been relaxing at home. Our third speaker nearly brought me to tears, or I should say did bring me to tears but not until I was driving home. Her third daughter has had some very difficult experiences. And while I'm not certain that she was ever abused, she was around it.
I'm sure I'm not going to be very "pc" here and I know that's unlike me. Before becoming a parent I would have still wondered this but now that I am a parent I'm really dumbfounded with people. As someone who feels guilty for a killing a spider and does not eat meat because I cannot take a life, I find it unfathomable how someone can harm a child let alone their very own child. I am really confused and heartbroken for the children who don't make it out of abuse situations including those who have died. Our third speaker's daughter had both a biological brother and adoptive brother die due to abuse and neglect at the hands of separate sets of parents before arriving in her family. Again, I will spare you the details. Normally I would say I wish I'd been spared them and maybe that's the case still. I'm not sure.
I know in my heart going forward with private adoption is right for us now. I've also had a nagging suspicion even before tonight that public adoption may also be in our future down the road. It's frightening and worrisome to me to have a child I am responsible to help move past issues and baggage they may carry. I worry I won't be able to be what they need. At the same time I really feel like we'll go that route anyway because I'm not one to let fear win.
I titled this post "raw" because our last speaker used the term repeatedly in describing her emotions. She apologetically broke down while talking to us but it was clearly a sort of cathartic thing for her. The term is extremely fitting for how I'm feeling and I'm not sure how to feel better about it.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I haven't commented before, but I'm glad to have read this. My husband and I have began to discuss adoption and I have so many questions about domestic vs. international and all those concerns you mentioned here. It is such a huge step and I'm so committed to doing what is 'right' although that is not so clear. I'm happy to see others paving the way. :-) Dana

Anonymous said...

For both of you: My friend Libby has a blog that is mostly adoption-focused: http://writingforliberty.blogspot.com/ (Shannon, I'm not sure if you ever both worked at MH at the same time, but she was a proofer). Libby is an adoptee and an advocate for adoption rights, and she discusses adoption with a sensitivity and an insight that is unique. Reading her blog has helped me understand the complexities surrounding adoption, and I think anyone considering adopting could benefit from hearing her story.

Shannon, I hear you when it comes to your fears about public adoption. There are so many sad stories out there (the one in the news recently about the Russian boy who was adopted and returned was heartbreaking to me). Close friends of mine recently adopted through the public system, and when I met their baby for the first time, what struck me was how lucky he is and how loved he will be. He will still have baggage and issues to deal with as he grows up (and I think understanding that and lovingly and patiently supporting him when he gets to that point will be key for my friends as his adoptive parents), but given that he could easily have ended up in foster care, he's a lucky boy.

Anyway. I hope that didn't sound like I have an opinion either way about private- vs public-adoption (I don't). It is a sad reality that adoption is even necessary, but given that it is, I'm glad there are people like you who are willing to take a child into your home and family. The child you and D end up with will also be a very lucky little boy or girl.