Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Something 'Wicked' this way comes

Tonight I’m going to see the Broadway show, Wicked. I’m really excited. I’m not quite done with the book, but almost. I thought I had an extra week, so I started reading every morning and during lunch to ensure I’d finish on-time. This book has made me want to actually read The Wizard of Oz because all I know is the movie. If that movie is anything like its Oscar competition that year, Gone with the Wind, then it strayed a good distance from the book. The entire scene when Dorothy lands in Oz went down differently in this book, and I must find out how it was originally written.
Wicked isn’t going to win any literary awards, but I can see why it’s so popular. I did enjoy it, and I’m normally not one for fantasy books. I’m also considering reading Son of a Witch, the next/last book in this line. I’m intrigued about Liir. The only thing I didn’t like about this book is the symbolism and connectivity of items. The author does not write it in such a way that you make the connections yourself, and instead points them all out for you as “The Witch’s” thoughts and questions to herself. I don’t like to be so spoon-fed when reading. Now, I’m not claiming I would have made the connections myself, but I would have enjoyed the challenge. Maybe he could have pointed out the first 1 or 2 instances so we’d know "ah, this is how this is going go," but that’s as much as I could accept and it went well beyond that. But that was it really. I have really enjoyed it and I don’t want the book to end, for I know how it ends and I’ve come to really like Elphie (aka The Witch).
It’s a character I feel I have some items in common with from the obvious (animal rights) to the less obvious feelings/baggage she carries. I think a lot of people could relate – it’s pretty normal stuff. That’s undoubtedly part of the point – it’s pretty normal stuff, relatively speaking.
So if you’ve not read it but love The Wizard of Oz then give it a chance. Tomorrow I’ll tell you what I thought of the show!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

So how was it?