Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Diets

Whether a diet is for health reasons or weight loss, the immediate result is always the same for me . . . I want what I cannot have. No doubt, I would not want it half as much if I were allowed to have it. What is it? The usual – sugar.
I saw the naturopath last night and was convinced that my health would be improved if I followed this diet for awhile. I’m calling it “this diet” because as far as I know it has no name. I could name it I guess, but I don’t want to have any fondness towards it that a name might grant. This diet allows no sugar (juice, jam, jelly, fructose, etc), no refined carbs (white pasta, bread, etc), and no peanuts or peanut butter. Okay, I can do that last one. Though today is not a good example, I can also manage to greatly reduce or possibly even eliminate refined carbs. It’s the first one, sugar. It’s evil. It has its claws in me, and it won’t let go. I don’t even really eat that much sugar, but the idea of eliminating it makes me want it – NOW.
My will power is non-existent. I’m a wuss. A wuss, craving chocolates and ice cream – on a day when I have already had white pasta AND white bread. Oy vey!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now between reading this blog and looking at the Time magazine on my coffee table (with an ice cream sundae on the front cover), I freaking want some Dairy Queen.

Not good, since I've had it twice in the past week.

I don't think I can buy any diet that makes you completely eliminate any one thing. Everything in moderation. Besides, our bodies are so sinfully rebellious that we can't help wanting to buck the system when a system is handed to us. Aaaaaaand I want DQ even more now.

Sigh