Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Reading

Are you reading anything?
I have a ridiculous long list of books I'm reading - or not reading in most cases.
I'm part of a bookclub at work. So I just read What is theWhat, last month's book. It was really good. It's about the Lost Boys (specifically one) of Sudan. It's by Dave Eggers. I've not read his other work as many reviewers say his writing tends to be egotistical. I didn't want to get into that. This was fiction, but based signficantly on real events. Read it, you'll get what I mean. It's inspiring. Not inspiring like I'm going to go out and conquer something. It's inspring in that I want to learn more about the history of Africa. I want to re-commit to helping the people of the continent - especially refugees.
This weekend I read Night. I've been wanting to read it and maybe had I known it was so short I would have. I read it in the airports during my travels. It's not the first book I've read from a Holocaust survivor, and this was no less poignant. I highly reccomend this quick read too. I guess the original French version was a bit longer. I think I would have liked to read his expanded thoughts.
Now I'm torn between two books, the current bookclub selection The March (Pulitzer prize finalist about the Civil War march of Sherman) or continue on with Long Way Gone (child solider in Sierra Leone). I had planned to read the latter, but honestly it's not written nearly as well as Egger's piece. They're different, so I think it will be worthwhile to read both. Besides, the bookclub isn't all that popular. Only two of us read What is the What. I'm not sure who will read The March. I think I may do my own thing until May when it's time for The Good Earth. I highly reccomend that one too. I already read it, but plan to re-read it.
Oh, and I'm also planning to read The Secret, and maybe, just maybe I can finally dive into The Power of Now or any other number of books sitting in the 'read next' pile on my bookshelf.
Read, Read, Read! If only we still got Pizza Hut coupons for reading!
Okay, everyone off to your library now! :)

5 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

I recently read Night too. Definitely one everyone should read.

Maureen's going to lend me The March. Don't give up on book club!

I had to laugh when you mentioned The Secret. Have you seen that SNL Oprah skit where she's promoting that book? I just keep hearing Maya Rudolph going "SEE CRUT!"

Shannon said...

I read Night in college. Have you read Hiroshima? Oh, man. That was one of the most eye-opening books I've ever read.

Shannon said...

I haven't given up on bookclub. I'm just not sure I'll get this month's book done. I havne't even started - and I'm soooo slow.
And I've not read Hiroshima. I'll have to look into that.

Erin said...

I just got The March today from Maureen. It's not the type of book I typically gravitate toward, but I'm going to give it a shot. I need book clubs for this reason--they help me branch out.

Oh, and if you were wondering about the deleted comment...that was me. It had a typo, and I couldn't let it stay :)