Wednesday, April 04, 2007

work? blog? blog as work? work as blog?

I need to find my voice. Not like Kaetie found hers recently (I did that many years ago), but my written voice.
I even have an old college book Developing a Written Voice. Maybe I need to dig that out.
I definitely feel I lack a voice when I blog (or write in general – unless it’s for work). I’m not a natural storyteller, and I wonder if that’s part of the problem. When I write I’m very driven by my mood, and so I feel like there is part of why there is no consistent voice. I’m also driven by an inner critic and shy inner introvert (is that too much “in”?). So maybe an issue is not writing honestly (open) enough. Or maybe I do have a voice and I’m letting that critic convince me otherwise. I don’t know.
Regardless, I was at first unhappy to have so few comments. Then the comments came, and I felt better. But even with that I still don’t blog often. I’m back to wanting to use this as a means of writing. Nothing Pulitzer-worthy, but just writing so my brain keeps working. [Yes, I know that’s a fragment – artistic license!]
Oh, and don’t get me wrong – I love comments. Also, if you’re interested in linking to one another’s blog let me know.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Yay, I love artistic license! That reminds me of what Anuschka was saying tonight. I love linguists--they help me remember to fight against my inner grammar-snob (whose voice has gotten louder since I started proofing, unfortunately).

And what's this about blog-linking? Can you do that with blogger? I've only figured out how to do that with myspace and xanga.

Shannon said...

I link to my friend Becky's Blog - below in my "friends" section. If that's your question. Or do you mean links inside the blog? That's the same system as MySpace (I think the buttons look idenical actually).

Erin said...

No, I meant blog subscriptions, like Xanga and MySpace have, where you can "subscribe" to someone's blog and you get an email anytime they post a new update. As far as I know, I don't think blogger does this. But you can link to my blog in your friends section if you want, and I can link to yours :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah - Kaetie made the Blog!!! She will be so excited.