Thursday, October 02, 2008

Rent or Own

I'm a follow the rules kind of girl. I never wanted to admit that but it's true and everyone who knows me know that. So I did well in school, went to college, got married, got a job and then a house. It's the American dream, right?
So here I am. We've been in our home for over 9 years now. Fortunately that was before all the predatory lending, though even then we were qualified for more than we could afford and would have been encouraged to spend.
We looked at fewer houses that we probably should have and fewer than we would have liked. We also didn't see houses in some areas of the city that we now wish our agent had introduced to us. Sometimes we second guess our choice, even 9 years later. Sometimes we still get frustrated that for this to be our dream house we'd have to pour even more money into it.
Don't get me wrong. We've done a lot of work and we love our house. We'd love it more on a quieter street, farther from a railroad crossing, or without our current neighbors. Our house has become a warm, comfortable and relaxing home. The first few years it was a house, but yes now it is a home.

Earlier this week, I received a link to an article touting renting over owning. I have to say it was food for thought. Can a rental feel like home? I think so. Can you find one roomy enough? Of course, and isn't simplifying a good thing too?

I was surprised by my reaction to the article. I'm always on realtor.com looking at homes in this area and other cities. Could I rent? Is it feasible? Would I be happy? Surprisingly I think I could and would.
The article points out that people pour lots of money into their homes and often the increase in equity only keeps up with spending. So when you sell your home you often do not get anymore than what you put into it. So it's not a good investment. If you rent but put all that money into something in which you earn interest you come out farther ahead. (The article doesn't simplify it quite so much of course.) It's an interesting idea.
After being in our house for 9yrs in a city that avoided the sharp increase (and hence the decrease) in housing prices. So the equity we now have in our house IS almost exactly what we've put into it with upgrades. Hmmm.

Honestly, part of why I'm willing to consider renting in the future is my recent rip to Texas. My sister-in-law recently moved into a brand new apartment complex. It was modern (open concept, stained concrete floors) and beautiful. If it had an additional bedroom and allowed pets (maybe it does) I could be sold!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, the apartments DO allow pets and they do have 3 bedroom options.

Lately, I'm very glad that I decided to become a renter when I did. I sold my condo in high-priced northern VA just before the housing market fell out and have been renting for the past 3 years. And while I don't get the nice tax deduction on my mortgage payments (and lately I think renters should get some kind of discount for being responsible renters), I am not paying a big tax bill and I have MUCH more flexibility in being able to relocate without being tied to whether or not I can sell my home. Given today's job market, it seems silly that the government is still recommending home ownership, especially in cities that have lost jobs. Wouldn't it be smarter to make it easier for people to move to the jobs?