Monday, October 06, 2008

Work

I'm sure there are more than two types of people when it comes to work, but off the top of my head I can only think of two. 1) Live to work types . . . they love their jobs, found their calling, or are simply workaholics. 2) Work to live types . . . they do the job and go home.

I've always been a type 2. I'm glad that when I got into the corporate world and began my life in a cubicle, I had a boss that didn't want us staying late. First it was because we got paid for overtime and there was no budget for that. Then it was simply because we should have been able to get our work done and go home. There was not enough work to become a martyr.
I work to live. I've often wondered if this is just who I am or if it's because I've not found my calling yet. I was undeclared in college. Then I proceeded to get a workstudy job in the career center where I took every personality test I could. I met with each advisor in case I'd have an epiphany with one. It never happened.
As we graduated, everyone seemed to have such a clear idea of the path they were taking. Jobs were secured, and graduate schools entered. I took a part-time job at a veterinary clinic to get the hours I needed for vet school. I ended up hating the job and moved on to the before mentioned cubicle job within 6 months.

I'm lucky to have had the opportunities I have. I call it luck because I have never and still do not know what to do when I grow up. So the fact that I ended up with a skill set that allows me to work from home while raising baby J can only be luck. Maybe it's divine intervention, the universe taking care of me, something other than luck but I guarantee you it's not my own grand plan.
With that being said, finding work is proving harder than I'd hoped. I've seen plenty of people move on to freelance. Many of them secure work immediately and that first contact leads to more and more work. I had hoped the same would happen when I got a job right away. So far it has not led to another. I'm not desperately in need of work, but I may be soon if the dry spell continues.

All in all, I'm trying to look at the bright side and take this slow time as an opportunity. It's an opportunity to do all the things piling up on the back burner that work would not afford me the time to do. Mainly (on the work front at least) my t-shirt business. I have all the specifications done. I've also found a number of artists by asking people here and from hubby D asking at his work. I even had the radical idea to contact a blog writer in the Caribbean (the theme of my line) and ask for referrals - he gave me two! So now I need to contact them. I'm being a bit skittish about it because I really feel like I need to meet with a lawyer first. I need to know I will have no issues owning the artwork produced. I'm not sure if I can copyright artwork I commissioned but did not create - or is that a trademark or maybe it's neither. See, I need legal help. I called someone but they never got back to me. That's on my list of things to do ASAP.
I'm really excited about the shirts and I wonder if years from now I'll look back and see that this lack of work was another bout of pure "luck."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, work to live. But I think you can be a type 2 even if you've found your calling (or, at least, a job you find fulfilling and satisfying). I never want to be someone who lives to work. I spend a good chunk of my time there, so I'd like to enjoy that time, but there's so much more to life than work.