Tuesday, October 07, 2008

September

I'm a little late with this, but I wanted to write about J's September. It was a big month for him! He reached the 1/2 a year mark mid-month. I can't believe it. And everyone here and in TX kept saying, "Oh six months is such a good age." I know. But those comments only make me sad that he's growing up so fast. I know each stage will have it's pros and will be a good age or fun age or something. I just know to some extent the days of him being happy being held so much will be short-lived. I'm excited about what will replace that but sad too. I try to not to concentrate on either emotion and just enjoy the moment. I think that's why we're already into October and I've not written this.
Starting at the end of August, J had cereal for the first time. We went ahead and started solids a couple weeks "early" for a few reasons. One was that I wanted him either eating them well or not yet eating them at all when we traveled. The second was that he was cutting his first tooth. His bottom right center incisor was the first to erupt. Almost immediately the left showed up too. Now his smile and laugh are even more incredibly cute.
He started with rice cereal and moved on to oatmeal rather quickly. Now he mainly eats oatmeal though I think I will move on to multi-grain or barely soon, just so he has some variety. His first veggie (or fruit technically) was avocado. It didn't need cooked so it was chosen as the first. He liked it after he got over the shock of eating it. Second was broccoli but he hated it (sobbing on day 2) and he had a mild reaction. We abandoned broccoli for fresh sweet corn. He liked that. Now we're finishing up peas, and I have a butternut squash on the counter that I plan to cook today. I'm trying to incorporate his food with ours. So I'm planning to use the squash in our meal tonight as well. We're having butternut squash & apple gratin (and I'm adding fake chicken). I think beets will be next but maybe green beans if I can find some fresh somewhere. If not, I'm not opposed to frozen - the peas were frozen. I also have edamamme and I'm considering trying a legume (maybe lentils).
September also marked J's first plane ride. He did great. He slept and played both ways. He also did pretty well with his schedule being all messed up during vacation. He stayed up late, slept in funny place, and only had a couple meltdowns. I did not do as well. I'm not the best traveler, but by just doing it and forcing myself hopefully I'm helping him to be better with it than I am.
I think he learned to roll over in September, if not it was late August. I should recall these things! I do have a little video so I can go back and look at the date on it. Now he rolls all over and is up on his knees, rocking back and forth with the occasional face planting as he tries to move forward. He's got all the movements, he just needs to coordinate them now. Yesterday he was working quite hard on learning to sit up. He can sit up if you place him in that position but he was learning to get here on his own. He's close. That will mean the crib needs lowered!
We're totally not ready for all this mobility yet! The house isn't ready, the dogs aren't ready (oh that's a blog all on it's own - and not a happy one - stay tuned) - not ready!
too, but with the addition of the fleece he needs on these cool fall nights, it's a bit snug. I think he's just about outgrown it. I'm not sure if we'll get a backpack or not. We'll probably be able to use the We got out his jogging stroller when we returned from TX. He seems to really like it. It's better for all the bumps on the walk and he gets to snuggle in with a blanket. We still use the frontpackfrontpack a few more weeks and that will get us deep into fall and downright cold temps. Then he'll have to be in the stroller, bundled up nice and snug. We'll what we need in the spring.
I have to say, I'm so excited for him to experience every season. While the economy & housing market has made our decision to stay in OH for us, the desire for J to know fall & winter is also making me want to stay here. TX fall & winter is the same season, cool and blah. I think I'd rather have snow! I know he won't really get to enjoy the seasons this year. The next few years he'll get to do a little more each time fall & winter roll around. I have fond memories of those seasons as a child and I want him to have that opportunity too. We'll see how life evolves.

No comments: